Home » London stabbings: 13-year-old boy killed in sword attack, accused held

London stabbings: 13-year-old boy killed in sword attack, accused held

A 13-year-old boy was killed and four others were injured after a man wielding a sword attacked members of the public and police officers in an east London suburb on Tuesday.

The 36-year-old suspect allegedly also assaulted two police officers before eventually being apprehended.(X)

The 36-year-old man was arrested at the scene, according to the police said. Among those injured were two police officers and two other people.

Unlock exclusive access to the latest news on India’s general elections, only on the HT App. Download Now! Download Now!

The incident is not being treated as terror-related, according to the police. Video footage and photographs shared on social media showed a man on the streets near houses with what appears to be a Samurai-like sword.

The Metropolitan Police were notified of the incident shortly before 7am this morning.

Emergency services, including fire and rescue crews and numerous ambulances, were rushed to the scene. The current condition of those injured remains unknown, and authorities have confirmed that they are not seeking any additional suspects.

“This must have been a terrifying incident for those concerned,” Deputy Assistant Commissioner Ade Adelekan said, according to the Associated Press. “I know the wider community will be feeling shock and alarm. People will want to know what has happened and we will provide more information as soon as we can.”

Adelekan added: “We are not looking for more suspects. This incident does not appear to be terror-related.”

British Home Secretary James Cleverly said that he’s being updated “regularly” on the incident.

“I am being regularly updated about the incident at Hainault Station this morning My thoughts are with those who have been affected & thank you to the emergency responders,” he wrote on X. “I would urge people not to speculate or share footage online and provide relevant information to the police.”

London Mayor Sadiq Khan said he was “absolutely devastated” at hearing of the incident.

“The police offices and emergency services showed the best of our city — running towards danger to protect others and I thank them from the bottom of my heart,” Khan said.

In response to the incident, the Hainault Tube station in Ilford has been closed downby police. “Hainault underground station is closed due to a police investigation in the area,” Transport for London posted on X.